Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Tale of the Frozen Hamburger Patty

One fine January morning, The Pixie and I headed over to her little buddy's house for a play date. ) Nothing surprises me anymore...especially when Young Life leaders are involved, and we were going over to my friend's house.  She runs Young Life out of her house.  And, where there is Young Life, there is crazy.  You cannot explain the goings on.

As we were walking up to the front door, I saw a very distinctive cheeseburger patty on the mulch lining the walk.  I walked on by.  You know, come to think of it, I cannot explain why I walked by that without even thinking to pick it up or tell her to pick it up.  Stop judging.  When you have three+ children and hundreds of high school kids coming to your house every week, you can start judging, but in the meantime...

We had ourselves a little playdate and fellowship, and then it was time to go, so The Pixie mad dashed to the car (it's what you do in PA in January-it's too cold to linger).  She jumped in and climbed into her carseat before I had even closed the door.  One thing I should take note of is that when the Redhead is completely compliant, something's not going right.  I walked out to buckle her seat belt and saw her happily gnawing on that frozen solid cheeseburger patty that had been sitting in my friend's mulch.  She looked at me and said, "Can I eat this?"  Thanks for ASKING BEFOREHAND, PIXIE, "NO!  YOU MAY NOT!"  I took it and threw it back in the yard where it...where it...belonged?

I called my friend on the way home to tell her the general direction in which I tossed it.  You know, I don't ask a whole lotta "whys" when weird things happen, but I asked her this time.  She said that she had gone through the McD*nald's drive through and brought everything home to eat, but her middle child had dropped the patty out of his bag.  Who knows?  HOW do you drop a patty, but not the bun?  Regardless, it happened.  She had been having "one of those days."  We've all had them.  So, she left the patty on the ground.  And, there it stayed.  Two weeks later, Darby was enjoying the second half of our little buddy's burger.

Gross? Yes.
But, this is merely PROOF that there ARE, indeed, FREE LUNCHES!

No comments:

Post a Comment